Tiny Tweaks, Big Benefits
Is this what you look like when you’re watching TV?
What do you look like right now as you’re reading this? Can you say “Oy vey?”
Read on…I’m going to tell you something that can help add years to your life and make you feel and lookabso-freakin-lutely fabulous in minutes…no kidding!
I’m always ranting and raving about the importance of practicing good posture and lifting techniques in real life and outside your fitness routine, as well as in your fitness routine, (but don’t get me started here about the very observable 9 out 10 peops that practice horrendous posture whilst moving their assets in the gym.) And if you’re not a client or student of mine, you may not have heard one of my infamous rants yet, but you’ll sure read a plethora of them in my book, Move Your Assets: From the Chair, Not the Bank!)
- Do you have the strength to lift yourself up from a sitting position?
- Do you have a tough time getting out of bed in the morning?
- Do you creak and crawl out of the car?
- Does your body feel the worst after you’ve been on your couch, in your car, your chair at work, or your bed?
I’m always warning my students about the complications of sitting in a poor posture for long periods of time on your couch, in your car, chair, or bed.
DUH! Your muscles are not meant to sit in poor posture for prolonged periods of time. That’s why you hurt more when you get out of your car than you do after a 30-minute walk!
I don’t care if you exercise for 2 hours a day, 7 days a week…you must be mindful of your posture when you’re performing any task, even sitting.
The less awareness and strength you have carrying your own body around, the more difficult it will be to get up, especially as you age.
When you’re sitting, instead of using that time to practice poor posture, you can use it to practice good posture — and strengthen your core.
Here’s how to watch TV with good posture :
And here’s what you should look like when you send emails or post on Facebook:
Why is this important?
This is soooo important because:
1. You’ll eliminate needless aches and pains. (Sorry, I’m not referring to the one you’re married to, ha ha.)
2. You’ll look SO much better. Using your posture in the lovely manner that I am displaying (above) will do more for your “core” than doing 5099 crunches daily…no kidding! In fact, 9 out of 10 peops that I observe are crunching improperly and are actually causing the “kangeroo pouch” to protrude and the girls (and chin) to drop toward the floor (yes “those” girls.)
3. You’ll be able to get up a lot more easily as you age and you won’t be trading in your G-d given body parts for a slow-moving motorized scooter. (Don’t get me started with those right now!)
And drum roll please…
4. You’ll lower your risk of death!
Research shows that the ability to sit and rise from the floor with one hand or no hands was closely correlated with a lower risk of death from any cause. You can read more here and also the original study published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology. I am worried about you and want you to be able to get off the freakin’ toilet in your “oldster” (the opposite of youngster) years. And by the way, (Bethy Tangent) because your such a germaphobe you shouldn’t be sitting on a public toilet anyway! So practicing your sqatting now (like we did in Turkey and other countries) will not only keep you germ free but will help strengthen your assets (literally your “glutes”) as well as your thighs. And remember, stronger glutes means less work from your joints, especially you knees, hips and lower vertebrae.
So not only am I teaching you ways to feel and look so much better than you ever dreamed, but I’m also helping to add years to your life!
“My mission is NOT to make you an Olympic athlete; it is to PREVENT you from being the star of the ‘I’ve fallen and I can’t get up commercial!’ Stick with me so there will be no slow-moving motorized scooters, no grab bars installed by your toilette’, and no deprivation diets ever again… in YOUR future!”—Luv, The Asset Queen
Bethanne Weiss B.S., is an Orlando based motivational speaker, author, and ACE-certified fitness and nutrition profession with 30 years of moving assets from chairs and changing lives. MoveYourAssets.com
Love my AQ wisdom? You can read lots more in my book, Move Your Assets: From the Chair, Not the Bank!